January 10, 2009

Paris: We arrived in Paris on Dec. 29th and I flew back to Dublin on Jan. 3rd.  Five days in Paris was wonderful, but as we were warned, it wasn’t enough time to see everything.  Still, it was wonderful to speak French again, order un café et une crêpe and have some fresh baguette.  Right near our hostel we found two great boulangeries, already I think I’m missing the French bread.  Some of the highlights of the Paris trip were seeing the stained-glass windows and the light – up Nativity scene in the Cathédrale de Notre Dame de Paris, ice skating in front of the Hôtel de Ville, taking pictures by La Sorbonne and the Pantheon, and strolling the boulevard du Montparnasse.  One of my favorite places is the Musée d’Orsay which holds the works of one of my absolute favorite artists- Degas.  Other visits around Paris included the Champs-Élysées, the Arc de Triomphe, the Moulin Rouge, and the Sacré-Coeur.  After having studied about Paris and Eugene Ionesco and the Theater of the Absurd in my french class at Holy Cross, friends and I were able to enjoy a show (La Leçon) at the famous La Huchette theater near the Fontaine St. Michel.  My last day in Paris was spent at the Louvre- so I was able to see Venus, Winged Victory and of course the Mona Lisa.  Friends and I were very lucky on New Year’s to have met up with our other Holy Cross friend’s on New Year’s and we celebrated all together right underneath the Eiffel Tower.  I still can’t believe it actually happened.

Of course, this is a very brief synopsis of my travels this Christmas break.  So much was discovered— whether it be a new favorite painting, getting lost in a new city, or finding old friends in a foreign place — and part of the beauty of these discoveries it is that some of the story is meant to be untold.

A final important discovery of this trip was that in visiting all of these major cities this break, it made me even more excited to go back to my own city, Dublin, and explore it again, find something new.  I was so excited to go back and see my roommates and my flat and to start the new term.  Additionally, I learned that while all of these cities have their own unique trait to offer, when you observe the people around you, going about their daily lives and when you learn your way around a city, it suddenly becomes less striking, less romantic, but in a good way.  From each city, I take a part of it that really impresses me and now in 2009, I plan to see further what makes Dublin my city.

Ciao, salut, cheers,
Megan

Euro Christmas Abroad 08-09 028
Euro Christmas Abroad 08-09 099
Euro Christmas Abroad 08-09 168
Euro Christmas Abroad 08-09 260
Euro Christmas Abroad 08-09 430

One Response to “January 10, 2009”

1. STEVEN says:

CheapTabletsOnline.com. Canadian Health&Care.Special Internet Prices.No prescription online pharmacy.Best quality drugs. No prescription pills. Order drugs online

Buy:Accutane.Mega Hoodia.Retin-A.Prednisolone.Actos.Prevacid.Human Growth Hormone.100% Pure Okinawan Coral Calcium.Valtrex.Zyban.Petcam (Metacam) Oral Suspension.Nexium.Zovirax.Lumigan.Arimidex.Synthroid….